[R] Help with tabs, and importing data

Marc Schwartz mschwartz at medanalytics.com
Sun Feb 16 06:39:03 CET 2003

Alan,

When you say little boxes, what application are you using to see them?

My guess is that you are seeing the tab characters being represented
by the boxes in some text editor.

If you display the tab delimited file in Word and use the "Show/Hide"
formatting tool bar button (the paragraph symbol "¶"), you will see
little right pointing arrows where the tab characters are.  This is
normal.

To import the tab delimited file into R, use read.delim(), which uses
the tab character ("\t") as the default field separator.  See
?read.delim for more information.

Hope that helps,

Marc Schwartz