[R] Perl on Windows XP for Rcmd build

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Sat Feb 15 20:43:03 CET 2003

Douglas Bates <bates at stat.wisc.edu> writes:

> Is there a recommended binary version of perl to use under Windows XP
> for `Rcmd build'?  The R FAQ for Windows just mentions "perl".  I
> think that Kevin Wang's document on R for Windows suggests ActiveState
> perl but I have not been able to install it.
>
> I am running Windows XP Professional on a laptop.  The operating
> system was originally Windows 98 then upgraded to Windows ME then to
> XP Pro.  I have downloaded the MSI installer version of ActiveState
> perl 5.8.0 and tried to install it.  All that happens when I execute
> the installer is that I get a command prompt window that exits a few
> moments later, apparently with no effect.  I tried this a few times,
> rebooted the computer and tried again and still no luck.  I then
> removed the 5.8.0 installer and downloaded the ActivePerl-5.6.1.635
> MSI installer instead but the same thing happened.

Hmm....  I'm actually in the IDENTICAL situation (just inherited a
laptop from a prof in another dept who insisted that I edit files in
MS Word rather than OpenOffice :-); It's an ancient IBM thinkpad,
originally Win98, now Win XP Pro (no "ME" in the middle, though).

No problems with installing ActivePerl 5.8.0 Build 805.  Did you try
the AS installer instead of the MSI?

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini at u.washington.edu
FHCRC/SCHARP/HIV Vaccine Trials Net	rossini at scharp.org
-------------- http://software.biostat.washington.edu/ ----------------
FHCRC: M: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email
UW:   Th: 206-543-1044 (fax=3286)|Change last 4 digits of phone to FAX
(my tuesday/wednesday/friday locations are completely unpredictable.)