[R] pairlists (was: data manipulation function descriptions)

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Feb 14 18:28:03 CET 2003

"Warnes, Gregory R" <gregory_r_warnes at groton.pfizer.com> writes:

> [...]

Some ancient consideration pops up here. We do actually expose
pairlists in a few places (try mode(.Options)). Some people consider
that this is a remnant and should be stamped out, but we might also
consider doing what you suggest.

The big problem with old R was not so much the pairlists but that they
were used for representing objects of mode "list" so to get to X[[n]]
you had to count through the list from the beginning which killed
performance in some important cases. Then again, adding elements to a
generic vector requires copying the whole thing. Of course all the
legacy S code tended to do the former and not the latter, so generic
vectors ended up winning.

One or two reservations: With full lisp style access, could we end up
with (circular) data structures that confuse the garbage collector?
And might we -- supposing we allowed destructive list modifications --
end up with strange semantics a la the .Alias mess we had for a while?
Of course Luke would be the first to know about this.

Then of course there is the question of reverse compatibility. I don't
consider it much of a loss if R code doesn't run in Splus, but others
might.