[R] FW: [Fwd: Re: [S] Exact p-values]

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Feb 14 13:30:03 CET 2003

To understand the correct answer, you need to understand the following:

 > pbinom(1, 2, .5)
[1] 0.75

This is the binomial cumulative distribution function.
*** pbinom(0, 2, .5) = 0.25
*** pbinom(1, 2, .5) = 0.75 = 0.25 + 0.5
*** pbinom(2, 2, .5) = 1

However, pbinom(1e15, 2e15, .5) is a computational challenge.  Standard
numerical algorithms often fail in situations like this.  The code
should test for such cases and use more numerically stable
"approximations" in place of the "exact" algorithms.

The standard deviation for a binomial is sqrt(p*(1-p)/n) =
0.5/sqrt(2e15), which is roughly 1e-8 in your case.

I get the following from both S-Plus and R:

 > pbinom(1e5+c(-1, 0, 1), 2e5, .5)
[1] 0.4991079 0.5008921 0.5026762

For the problem you cite, the correct answer should be 0.5 to about 8
significant digits.  Instead, I get 1 from R (as you did) and the
following from S-Plus:

 > pbinom(1e15,2e15,0.5)
[1] 0.7411209

Both give wrong answers without warning, though in this case, S-Plus is
closer.

Answer the question?
Spencer Graves