[R] Memory allocation, IBM-AIX and R-1.6.2

Laurent Gautier laurent at cbs.dtu.dk
Mon Feb 10 10:50:03 CET 2003

Dear all,

I compiled R-1.6.2 for IBM-AIX (using the native compilers)
and I am facing problems to instanciate (rather) large
matrices.
I have:
>  m <- matrix(0, 640*640, 102)
Error: cannot allocate vector of size 326400 Kb

I am not truly familiar with AIX, but this does not
seem to be caused by kernel/user limitations:

ulimit -Ha gives:

core file size        (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) unlimited
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 64
stack size            (kbytes, -s) unlimited
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 512
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

Can anyone (with similar settings) create large objects ?

L.

currently at the National Yang-Ming University in Taipei, Taiwan