[R] basic question

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Feb 4 10:24:41 CET 2003

Archaux Frederic wrote:
> Dear R users,
>
> Up to now, I only used precompiled packages. As I am working on vegetation
> ecology, I would be interested in using a package not stored by CRAN called
> labdsv_0.9-1.tar.gz and developped by Dave Roberts at the National Center
> for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (unfortunately I did not find any
> corresponding .zip file).
>
> Although I tried to follow the proposed guidelines  to install such a file
> in R, I did not succeed. I installed the library tools, the Perl and the
> MinGW softwares, but I feel all this stuff is useless in my case (my
> knowledge in informatic in so poor that I am reduced to "intuitions"!)
>
> I know this is probably one of the most FAQ, but I did not find the answer
> to my problem on the R-CRAN web site. Thank you in advance!
>
> Have a good day.

Thanks.

Well, you tell us about the existance of an R package with a specific
name, which you cannot compile using the given instructions.
So, what answer do you expect?

Possible causes:
  - the package depends on anything not available on your system (or not
found by the package)
  - the package is incompatible with your version of R
  - you have misinterpreted the instructions
  - you have not followed the isntrructions exactly
  - ...

Please tell us *relevant* facts, we cannot help without information!

In an attack of kindness I (and Google) found
http://labdsv.nr.usu.edu/splus_R/labdsv_0.9-1.tar.gz
That package is not a complete R package! It's missing its DESCRIPTION
file (and others)!
You might want to contact the author / maintainer or fix that package
yourself.

Uwe Ligges