[R] printing reals from C with digits -- once more

Ott Toomet otoomet at econ.dk
Sun Feb 2 16:03:03 CET 2003

Thank for Brian D. Ripley for the answer to my previous question.

My aim is to print single values from different real vectors with
different digits option.  This is quite a possible with Rprintf() but
that one supprots printing format as C does, not in R native way
(setting digits=7 or printing with "%12.7f" are two quite different
things).  So I would like to find something more R-ish.

PrintValue() seems promising (it understands when I change
options(digits) but I did not get it to print a single value.  I tried

  SEXP variable;
  PrintValue(VECTOR_ELT(variable, i));

which lead to crash, while

  PrintValue(variable);

prints the whole vector.

StringFromReal() (and printing as CHAR) is otherwise nice but I dont
know how can I make it to understand options(digits).

Can anybody suggest me a way for this?

Best wishes,

Ott

BTW, can I be sure that everything defined in /usr/lib/R/include and
R_ext are (more or less) safe to use?