[R] Rcmd check package failure

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 29 20:41:50 CET 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Remko Duursma wrote:

> recently, i tried making a package with my own functions - which worked
> fine, until i reinstalled MikTex (in Win2000). Now i get the error
> message:
>
> * checking for working latex ... NO
> * using log directory 'C:/Rlibs/R4PG.Rcheck'
> * checking for file 'R4PG/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
> * checking if this is a source package ... OK

Was there nothing here at all?

>  ERROR
> Installation failed.

That's an installation failure.  Do run Rcmd INSTALL first to check that
you can install the package: you may well get more informative error
messages.

> But i set the path to MikTex, and "latex" as well as "pdftex" both run in the (Win) command window.
> I use R1.81 but also tried in R1.71.
>
> Any ideas?

Look again, more carefully.  According to `check' you do not have latex in
your path, even if you think you do. But the installation failure has some
other cause.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk