[R] installing packages on MAC os X

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Mon Dec 29 19:03:10 CET 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Sara Good-Avila wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just downloaded and installed the RAqua onto my Mac and I have R
> up and running fine.  Now I'm trying to get 'ape' downloaded and
> installed and having quite the difficulty.  I am following the
> directions specified under 'Installing packages' where packages can be
> downloaded and installed from within R.

It would help if you said what you actually did -- I'm not sure which
instructions you mean.

>						 I get the following error
> messages:

These are actually warning messages, not error messages

> 1: argument 'lib' is missing: using ~/Library/RAqua/library in:
> install.packages("ape")

This one is unsightly but harmless (it will go away in the next version)

> 2: Installation of package ape had non-zero exit status in:
> install.packages("ape")

This is the problem, but it doesn't say what the cause is.  Try
again, but this time also open a `Console' window (look under Applications
then Utilities in the Finder).  This will show the actual output from the
installation, and should give a more informative error message (to us,
even if not necessarily to you).

Installation of ape works for me in both binary and source forms, so
there's something about your setup that is responsible.

	-thomas