[R] Fast logistic regression

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 25 08:42:21 CET 2003

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, Masahiko AIDA wrote:

> Is there any faster implementation of logistic regression
> than glm function in base package in R?
>
> I am working on simulation study and discovered glm fitting part is the
> bottle neck of my program.

Have you tried profiling (see Writing R Extensions)?  It may not be the
actual fitting but, say, the extraction of the model matrix which is slow.
You could call glm.fit() directly if it produces all you need.  In a
well-behaved problem you are not going to get anything much faster than
glm.fit without going entirely to compiled code (which is an option for
you, of course).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk