[R] Rd.sty not found -

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 23 09:50:16 CET 2003

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Arnab mukherji wrote:

> Hi
>
>  I  am still trying to wrap up a package using Rcmd (in windows 2000 professional with R 1.8.1). I have made some progress - and now at least Rcmd check works - it still giving me an error message when it creates latex help files though. Thus I get:
>
> c:\rpack> Rcmd check test
> * checking for working latex ... OK
> * using log directory 'C:/rpacks/test.Rcheck'
> * checking for file 'test/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
> * checking if this is a source package ... OK
>
> ---------- Making package test ------------
>   adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
>   installing R files
>   installing man source files
>   installing indices
>   installing help
>  >>> Building/Updating help pages for package 'test'
>      Formats: text html latex example
>   test                              text    html    latex   example
>  >>> Building/Updating help pages for package 'test'
>      Formats: chm
> make[2]: `test.chm' is up to date.
>   adding MD5 sums
>
> installing R.css in C:/rpacks/test.Rcheck

> * checking Rd \usage sections ... OK
> * checking examples ... OK
> * creating test-manual.tex ... OK
> * checking test-manual.tex ... ERROR
> LaTeX errors when creating DVI version.
> This typically indicates Rd problems.
>
> Everything is handled smoothly except for creating the test-manual. I
> looked at the error log and it told me that this was due to :
>
> ! LaTeX Error: File `Rd.sty' not found.
>
> Now I do have Rd.sty in my $HOME\share directory - so i tried to check

But it's the one in R_HOME/share/texmf you want.

> the configurations of MikTeX. I even tried adding the share directory to
> PATH to see if that helped; it didn't.  I am not sure what else I can do
> to get MikTeX to recognize Rd.sty in the R directory.

It should be looking in TEXINPUTS, as is the point of the following in the
check script

            $ENV{'TEXINPUTS'} =
              env_path(&file_path($R::Vars::R_HOME, "share", "texmf"),
                       $ENV{'TEXINPUTS'});

So you could try adding to TEXINPUTS yourself, and you should certainly
check the current setting of the environment variable (unset is fine).

Perhaps someone who uses MikTeX can help or assist -- the recommendation
is fptex, which is also what is on TeXLive.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk