[R] weighted regression

rex_bryan@urscorp.com rexbryan1 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 19 20:07:34 CET 2003

Tom
You are right.  I goofed on my x and y's ... sorry about that.
This example came from a MathCAD discussion group which
a math wizard with handle Paul_W proposed a solution.  I then tried
Statistica to see if a "big and professional" statistics package could
do regression with weights.  Yes and no.  Statistica's idea
of weighting appears to be one of "replicating" the data by
a count number called "weight".  Hence if you start with n =3 and you
weigh them each by 2 all the subsequent reports on number of samples will be
6. I don't know if this is standard in the statistical industry but boy it
did'nt meet the inverse variace idea at all.  Yep, the MathCAD solution
and R seem to match perfectly. Now I trying to figure out how confidence and
prediction curves
work with weighted regression.
Thanks for the response.

Merry Christmas