[R] symbolic and algebraic computation

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Thu Dec 18 14:43:15 CET 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:19:20 +0100, "Angel" <angel_lul at hotmail.com>
wrote :

>I needed a symbolic and algebraic computation software. The best solution
>I've found so far is maxima computer algebra system.
>I was wondering if there is any R package that has similar features as
>maxima's or somebody could point me to reference manuals on how to use R for
>this purpose.

R has limited capabilities to do this (for example, see ?deriv), but
if you're doing anything serious, you're better off in a package
designed for that purpose.  Maple and Mathematica are both good
(commercial) choices; I don't know how they compare to maxima, and I
don't know the free ones.

Duncan Murdoch