[R] mailing list for basic questions - preliminary sum up

Mulholland, Tom Tom.Mulholland at health.wa.gov.au
Thu Dec 18 03:25:57 CET 2003

The fact that I've been using R for quite a while now and did not know
about this document is supporting evidence of the need to get this sort
of information out there.

However that big list is going to daunt some people, it would have
daunted me at the beginning. At a time when you are digesting a whole
new universe (wonderful though it is) some short and pithy help is
welcome. I expect that there would be a consensus on which topics are
essential to improve the quality of questions. It is this select group
of comments that could be put in a standard email sent out once a month.
I would assume that the link to Eric Raymond's "How To Ask Questions The
Smart Way"1 would be part of the advice. That is if you're going to
spoon feed, then spoon feed the advice that helps the list most and
encourage new list members to take the time to read the longer document.

I think this special treatment is warranted because the issue is not
about R per-se, it is about this list, so it makes more sense to have it
coming out of this list rather than an entry in the R-FAQ. Although I
can't see a reason for not doing both.

Hmmm. Before I post this I had better go and see what Eric has to say
about this sort of message.

Ciao, Tom

1 An assumption on my part is that there is fundamental agreement that
the document is the best source for advice on how to ask questions of
this list

Tom Mulholland
Senior Policy Officer
WA Country Health Service
Tel: (08) 9222 4062

The contents of this e-mail transmission are confidential and may be
protected by professional privilege. The contents are intended only for
the named recipients of this e-mail. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, reproduction,
disclosure or distribution of the information contained in this e-mail
is prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately.