[R] beginner programming question

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Wed Dec 17 23:03:32 CET 2003

This is just a response to the part where you refer to an apply
loop really being a for loop.  In a sense this true, but
it should nevertheless be recognized that the apply solution
has a number of advantages over for:

- it nicely separates the problem into a single line that is
independent of the details of the problem and localizes them
in f

- the rows are pasted together automatically avoiding messy
appending or creation and filling in of a structure

- it avoids the use of indices

Of course, some apply loops come pretty close to for loops.  For
example, consider this variation:

  t( matrix( unlist (sapply( 1:nrow(z), function(i) f(z[i,]) ) ), 2 ))

and compare it to the for loop:

 out <- NULL
 for ( i in 1:nrow(z) ) {
   v <- f( z[i,] )
   if ( ! is.null(v) ) out <- rbind( out, v )
}

but even this apply, which is clearly inferior to the one in my
original posting, retains the first two advantages listed.

---