[R] mailing list for basic questions - proposal

Wed Dec 17 18:29:18 CET 2003

Dear R-user,

there have been already a lot of discussion with some good points against such
a list and the opposite opinions as well.

Well, I would like to propose that we start a testing phase either with

- only "internal" membership, that means only people from this dept. + perhaps
some other german universities can subscribe to list list and in 3 month
time, there will an evaluation and summary how this list behaved.

- or an open "international" membership, where the language is english and
everybody can subsribe and no approval is required.

In both cases the R-beginner mailing list can be shut down after this period
of time if it proves to be inefficient, too much work or leads to a wrong
understanding of R lists as a "customer service".

I would reckon that for this testing phase it is not important to setup a
searchable archive or put lots of work into it but to monitor which kind of
questions are asked, into which direction it leads, if it encouraged people
to ask "do it for me" questions and so on.

I would do it and would appreciate if some native-english speaker could join.

I hope that this proposal is acceptable for everybody.

thanks a lot for the discussion, it changed my view of a beginner mailing list
considerably, now I see the problems behind it.

best regards, Martin