[R] R on Itanium in 64bit mode? Experiences?

Michael Seewald mseewald at gmx.de
Wed Dec 17 14:53:31 CET 2003

Dear all,

I would like to raise the question regarding the Intel Itanium processors. Is
anyone using them in 64bit mode? I am mostly interested in memory-consuming
applications, e.g. the normalization of a large number of microarrays.

Andy Liaw told me that he is using R on a dual AMD Opteron in 64bit mode. He
can easily allocate 13GB of RAM in a single R process. It would be great if
someone in the forum could share his Itanium experiences with respect to that.
(OS/compiler issues would also be interesting..)

Thanks & best wishes from Vienna,
Michael