[R] mailing list for basic questions - preliminary sum up

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Tue Dec 16 16:20:52 CET 2003

"Pascal A. Niklaus" <Pascal.Niklaus at unibas.ch> writes:

> - In my experience even *very* basic questions *relating to the R
> language* do get answered on r-help. I'm impressed by how much time
> some members of the R core team spend answering relatively basic
> questions, and by how elaborate their answers generally are. So I
> cannot see much need for a new R mailing list. There are these
> excellent mailing list archives, so why "fragment" this list?

To follow up, well-thought through basic questions do get answered; in
particular, they can be useful for those of us writing packages,
documentation, etc.

I have a sense that it is the quality of the question (details of what
is intended to do, or not known, signs of using other sources of
materials which folks have spent years on, no signs that this is a "do
my work for me" question) rather than the level of the question, that
is an issue.

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}