[R] Resampling Stats software

Jason Turner jasont at indigoindustrial.co.nz
Tue Dec 16 06:13:24 CET 2003

Brandon Vaughn wrote:
> I am new to R (I have most of my experience in SAS and SPSS).  I was
> wondering if anyone has used both Resampling Stats and R, and could comment
> on strengths/relationships.

There are a few add-on packages for resampling with R.  "boot" is the
one I've used, and can strongly recommend.

> Also, I have no clue on how to do the various
> examples from the book "Resampling: The New Statistics" in R.  Can anyone
> give me some possible starting points?  Or websites/books?

I've never heard of the book you cite, but these two are good.  The
first is a pure bootstrap book, with examples in S-PLUS (the R library
is rather close).  The second is an applied stats book, which includes a
section on resampling methods.  All its examples are in S-PLUS, with
notes about where R differs (very little).

@Book{DavidsonHinkley1997,
author =	 {A. C. Davidson and D. V. Hinkley},
   title =	 {Bootstrap Methods and their Application},
   publisher =	 {Cambridge University Press},
   year =	 {1997},
}

@book{VenablesRipley2002,
   author =	 "Venables, W.R. and Ripley, B.D.",
   title =	 "Modern Applied Statistics with S",
   edition =	 "Fourth",
   publisher =	 {Springer-Verlag},
   address =	 {New York},
   year =	 2002,