[R] pca

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 15 08:17:40 CET 2003

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Douglas Trainor wrote:

> Somewhere along the line, you have been confused.
> You're in good company though.  Factor analysis
> and PCA are different entities entirely.

Not in SPSS, where the same command is used for both (although we were not
told anything like enough about what was done).

*However* I don't know what is meant by `pca in R'. Standard R contains
princomp() and prcomp() to do PCA: it appears that pca() is in the
orphaned package multiv. Why not use the standard functions?  Also, those
non-default arguments would appear to be very unusual indeed for PCA, and
do not correspond to a *correlation* matrix.

> Any clues about this diference?

User error looks likely.  Please seek out local statistical expertise.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk