[R] packaging standards for rda files?

Paul Johnson pauljohn at ku.edu
Thu Dec 11 21:44:25 CET 2003

Dear everybody:

We used the fine foreign library to bring in an SPSS dataset that was
about 9 megabytes and I can squeeze it into a much smaller R object
using compression with

save(ndat, file="NatAnnES2000.rda", compress=T).

I can use load() to get the "ndat" dataframe back, that's all good as
far as I can see.  If I put that file in the data subdirectory, then the
data() command finds it and I can load it.

Seems fine, but then I started wondering if there is not some more
sophisticated way of packaging these things. For example, how do people
put in the meta information that appears in the right side of the data()
output, as in:

Data sets in package '.':

NatAnnES2000

Data sets in package 'base':

Formaldehyde            Determination of Formaldehyde
HairEyeColor            Hair and Eye Color of Statistics Students

Are there other attributes that I should specify if I want to package an
.rda file for other users?

An rda file created in this way will translate across platforms, won't it?

pj

Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn at ku.edu
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504