[R] configure stuck in checking leap seconds (R-1.8.1 on AIX)

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Dec 10 19:21:10 CET 2003

Dear R-help,

We've been trying, so far unsuccessfully, to compile R as 64-bit under AIX
5.1.  Following the recent post by Dr. Christoph Pospiech, I started with
R-1.8.1 and manually edited the configure script according to the .diff
file.  Part of the diff has:

***************
*** 24446,24452 ****

  int main () {
    struct tm *tm;
!   time_t ct;

    ctime(&ct);
    ct = ct - (ct % 60);
--- 24453,24459 ----

  int main () {
    struct tm *tm;
!   time_t ct=12345;

    ctime(&ct);
    ct = ct - (ct % 60);

I do not know what the !'s meant, so I left the corresponding part in the
configure script alone.  However, when I ran the configure script, it always
seem to go into an infinite loop when checking whether leap seconds are
treated according to POSIX.  Does anyone have any idea how to get around
this?

I cheated the test by editing the test code in the configure script so it
will go on.  After that I was able to compile R.  (I did have to edit one
more thing in the configure script: changing /lib/crt0.o to /lib/crt0_64.o.)
Unfortunately, make check all failed in tests/p-r-random-tests.Rout.fail:

> dkwtest("beta",shape1 = 2, shape2 = 1)
beta(shape1 = 2, shape2 = 1) FAILED
Error in dkwtest("beta", shape1 = 2, shape2 = 1) :
        dkwtest failed
Execution halted

Can anyone help?

Best,
Andy

Andy Liaw, PhD
Biometrics Research      PO Box 2000, RY33-300
Merck Research Labs           Rahway, NJ 07065
mailto:andy_liaw at merck.com        732-594-0820