[R] Scatterplot axes

Thomas W Blackwell tblackw at umich.edu
Wed Dec 10 15:02:03 CET 2003

Ellen  -

plot(my.x.vector, my.y.vector, xlim=c(-3,3), ylim=c(-3,3))

It's the named arguments xlim and ylim that you were looking for.
I frequently set them as  xlim = 3 * c(-1,1), ylim = 3 * c(-1,1)
so that I can change the range by editing just one number rather
than two.  For an added fillip, try adding the argument  asp=1.
This will extend the range of one axis or the other by just
enough so that the graphical scale is the same on both axes,
that is, a one unit increase is the same number of millimeters
on the horizontal and the vertical axes.  It's very cool.  It
does, completely automatically, what I used to do painstakingly
by trial and error, tinkering with the width of the top and side
margins, until the graphical scales were equal.

-  tom blackwell  -  u michigan medical school  -  ann arbor  -