[R] GUI's for R

Peter Wolf s-plus at wiwi.uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Dec 5 19:16:03 CET 2003

Gerald.Jean at spgdag.ca wrote:

>Hello,

>All I said so far has little to do with the title of this email.  I am
>getting to it.  While I am pretty happy with a CLI I was asked to evaluate
>a few statistical packages to be used by casual users in my group.  One of
>the main requirements is ease of use, hence the GUI, furthermore, it will
>be a lot easier for me to support them in their analyses if we use the same
>software.

One idea to archive easy use is to construct an editor from which you
can start
R-commands. If you have saved frequently used R-expressions in a text file
you can load this file into such an editor,  locate the correct formula
and eval it.
For this task I am developing an editor that uses the tcltk package of
R: rwined().

Here is a screen shot:

   http://www.wiwi.uni-bielefeld.de/~wolf/software/revweb/rwinedwin.jpg

For experimentation you can download the code (window and linux)  from

   http://www.wiwi.uni-bielefeld.de/~wolf/software/revweb/rtrevive.exe

after installation the package, you have to type:

 > library(rtrevive)
 > rwined()

Peter Wolf