[R] ANother s-plus to R problem

Ognen Duzlevski maketo at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Dec 5 18:52:56 CET 2003

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 17:47:31 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>
> To: Ognen Duzlevski <maketo at sdf.lonestar.org>
> Cc: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
> Subject: Re: [R] ANother s-plus to R problem
>
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Ognen Duzlevski wrote:
>
> > Hi all, thank you for replying so quickly!
> >
> > I have another problem:
> >
> >  step.wise <- stepwise(data.table[,names(good.motifs[,1])], data.table[1],
> > f.crit=fval.cutoff)
> >
> > s-plus has the stepwise() formula but R has step() and stepAIC() from base
> > and MASS packages. I cannot seem to figure out how to convert the above
> > stepwise to either step() or stepAIC().
>
> You can't.  This is an old-fashioned approach, and the closest equivalent
> in R is probably that of regsubsets in package leaps (in one of its
> stepwise modes: it is a little short of detail)
>
> I can't help asking: If you have S-PLUS (sic) code, why not use S-PLUS?

:) Money? R is free and s-plus is not and it also is not cheap. We got the
code from some researcher who used s-plus and we would like to run it
under R. I started playing with R yesterday and was able to figure out the
basics and to get almost all of the things going in the code we
inherited but this stepwise() thing doesn't look too good...

Thanks for your help.
Ognen