[R] s-plus to R

Tony Plate tplate at acm.org
Fri Dec 5 17:57:56 CET 2003

I'd suggest just removing the "+" and see if that works.  It's somewhat
difficult to say whether that would be safe without seeing more of your
code, but "+" as a unary operator on character vectors seems to be an
identity function in S-plus 6.1, e.g.:

 > print(+ letters[1:3])
 > deparse(+ letters[1:3])

Maybe it has some side effects in S-plus (like invisible()?), but if the
code depends on these you will probably have to code these in a different
way in R anyway.  I don't know -- I haven't before seen "+" used as a unary
operator on character vectors.

hope this helps,

Tony Plate