[R] add a point to regression line and cook's distance

jonathan_li@agilent.com jonathan_li at agilent.com
Wed Dec 3 23:31:04 CET 2003

Hi,

This is more a statistics question rather than R question. But I thought people on this list may have some pointers.

MY question is like the following:
I would like to have a robust regression line. The data I have are mostly clustered around a small range. So
the regression line tend to be influenced strongly by outlier points (with large cook's distance). From the application
's background, I know that the line should pass (0,0), which is far away from the data cloud. I would like to add this
point to have a more robust line. The question is: does it make sense to do this? what are the negative impacts if any?

thanks,
jonathan