[R] question regarding variance components

Philip Turk turk at math.montana.edu
Tue Dec 2 14:02:39 CET 2003

I am using a two-factor ANOVA model with random factor effects including
the interaction, i.e. the factors are crossed.  I would like to be able to
generate all four variance components along with approximate confidence
intervals using the NLME package.  However, I do not know how to specify
the random option because of two problems.  First, I do not know how to
enter the interaction term into the option.  Second, I do not know how
to enter in the covariance matrix (see Neter et. al., Applied Linear
Statistical Models, 4th ed., page 977).  Is there anyone who has
confronted this problem before that would be willing to help?  Thank you.

Philip Turk