[R] significance in difference of proportions

Arne.Muller@aventis.com Arne.Muller at aventis.com
Mon Dec 1 18:41:06 CET 2003

Hello,

thanks for the replies to this subject. I'm using a fisher.test to test if
the proportions of my 2 samples are different (see Ted's example below).

The assumption was that the two samples are from the same population and that
they may contain a different number of "positives" (due to different
treatment).

I may be able to figues out the true probability to get a "positive", since I
for some of my experiments I know the entire population. E.g. the samples
(111 items, and 10 items) come from a population of 10,000 items, and I know
that there are 200 positives in the population.

Is it possible to use the fisher test for testing equallity of proportions
and to include the known probability to find a positive - would that make
sense at all? If the two samples come from the same population the
probability to find a positive shouldn't influence the test for difference of
proportions, should it?

At some point I'd like to extend the statistics so that the two samples can
come from 2 different populations (with known probability for the positives).

I'm happy to receive suggestions and comments on this.

	thanks a lot again for your help,

	Arne