[R] Problem installing acepack in debian

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Aug 31 22:49:05 CEST 2003

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 08:52:44PM +0100, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, A.J. Rossini wrote:
>
> > feh3k at spamcop.net writes:
> >
> > > using debian testing (latest Knoppix) I get an error when installing acepack:
> > >
> > > gcc -shared  -o acepack.so ace.o avas.o rlsmo.o
> > > -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/3.3 -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/3.3/../../..
> > > -lfrtbegin -lg2c-pic -lm -lgcc_s -L/usr/lib/R/bin -lR
> > > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfrtbegin
> > > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > > make: *** [acepack.so] Error 1
> > > ERROR: compilation failed for package 'acepack'
> > >
> > > Thanks for any assistance anyone can give.
> >
> > Frank --
> >

> > I'm a bit confused as to what the problem is -- on a system initially
> > Knoppix (Quantian 0.3, actually), upgraded to Debian unstable, I get:
>
> It is pretty clearly a difference between the system used to build R and
> that used to install the library.  I am pretty sure you can just delete
> -lfrtbegin from FLIBS in R_HOME/etc/Makeconf, but it is part of a proper
> gcc/g77 installation and so should be there.

Yes, it may just be a versioning issue between gcc/g77.

Out of curiousity, I just tried install.package("acepack") in the unstable
chroot I use for Debian packaging building, which includes R, as well as on
my current Debian testing workstation.  It worked on both.

Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx