[R] lattice question

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 29 22:41:13 CEST 2003

The typical graphical representation for shingles is via plot.shingle, e.g.

a <- equal.count(rnorm(100))
plot(a)

I'm not sure how you wish to represent this information inside the histogram
plot itself, but everything you need should be available inside the strip
function. For example,

#################
x <- rnorm(100)
a <- equal.count(rnorm(100))

histogram( ~ x | a, par.strip.text = list(lines = 2),
          strip = function(..., shingle.intervals,
                           which.given, which.panel, strip.names) {
              print(shingle.intervals[which.panel[which.given], ,drop = TRUE])

              strip.default(...,
                            shingle.intervals = shingle.intervals,
                            which.given = which.given,
                            which.panel = which.panel,
                            strip.names = FALSE)

              ltext(.5, .5,
         paste(round(shingle.intervals[which.panel[which.given], ,
                     drop = TRUE],
                     digits = 4), collapse = ",   "))
          })

The width of the strip area is determined by the display, but you can control
the height with par.strip.text. (Currently, whatever the strip function does
is clipped to within the strip area, you can override that with a setting
option in the lattice version that comes with r-devel)

Deepayan