[R] Lattice plot questions

Paul, David A paulda at BATTELLE.ORG
Fri Aug 29 20:10:31 CEST 2003

Thank you VERY much!  That does address my questions.

Respectfully,
  david paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Deepayan Sarkar [mailto:deepayan at stat.wisc.edu]
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2003 1:54 PM
To: Paul, David A; 'r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch'
Subject: Re: [R] Lattice plot questions

Let's consider this simulated data:

foo <- data.frame(resp = do.call("c", lapply(as.list(rep(6, 12)),
                  function(x) sort(rnorm(x)))),
                  week = rep(2*0:5, 12),
                  id = factor(rep(1:12, each = 6)))

Does the following give you what you want ?

xyplot(resp ~ week | id, foo,

       panel = function(x, y, col = sup.sym$col, panel.number, ...) {

           ## this part accesses the data frame directly, and needs to
           ## be adjusted accordingly if the name of the variables
           ## therein change. This draws the part meant for the whole
           ## data set

           panel.superpose(x = foo$week, y = foo$resp,
                           subscripts = TRUE, groups = foo$id,
                           type = 'l', col = "black")

           ## this part draws the colored lines, each overwriting one
           ## of the background lines

           sup.sym <- trellis.par.get("superpose.symbol")
           col.this <- col[1 + ((panel.number - 1) %% length(col))]
           panel.xyplot(x, y, type = 'b', col = col.this,
                        lwd = 2, cex = 1.2, ...)

       })

This will by default use the colors in superpose.symbol, but you can
override
that by specifying your own color as an argument to xyplot, perhaps
something
like

xyplot(resp ~ week | id, foo, col = c("red", "yellow", "blue"),
       panel = ....

I personally don't see the point of using different colors though (that
would
seem useful to me only if the different colors appeared within the same
panel).

There's no restriction on the length of the elements of
trellis.par.get("superpose.symbol"). 7 (which is just as good a number as
any
other) is the default choice, inspired by Trellis in S. Set it to whatever
you want with trellis.par.set() or lset() (or just supply the colors to
xyplot(), which is usually more convenient for specific tasks like this).

Names like "navy blue" are just a convenience, and I doubt that all 256^3
colors in the RGB space have been named, so trying to get a name for
"#ff7f00" may not get you anywhere. R has a function col2rgb() that converts

colors to RGB, e.g.

> col2rgb("#ff7f00")
      [,1]
red    255
green  127
blue     0
> col2rgb("navyblue")
      [,1]
red      0
green    0
blue   128

If you are more comfortable with named colors, use them--- R accepts them
everywhere. A list of names it recognizes is produced by

> colors()

The help pages for colors and col2rgb have more information.

HTH,

Deepayan