[R] R-help: beginner question

Monica Palaseanu-Lovejoy monica.palaseanu-lovejoy at stud.man.ac.uk
Thu Aug 28 15:35:29 CEST 2003

Hi,

I am a beginner user of R. I have a trivial question – I am almost
ashamed I cannot figure it out does not matter how many times I
am reading the help.

I have a table in .txt format, tab delimited. I can read it with
‘read.delim()’ with no problems.

Afterwards I would like to use boxplot function to see if there
are any outliers in the column 5 of my data called TPAH16.ppm

In the boxplot help I saw that I have to declare my data with
‘data()’. I am getting errors does not matter how I am calling
‘data()’, only with the name of the table, with
data(read.delim()), or in any other way. So in the end I was not
able to use boxplot at all.

I will appreciate any help “for dummies” you can give me. Also,
if you know any other way to identify outliers, or to use Cook
dimension to identify them, I will really appreciate.

Thanks,

Monica

Monica Palaseanu-Lovejoy
University of Manchester