[R] Re: diamond graphs, patents and rootograms

Mulholland, Tom Tom.Mulholland at health.wa.gov.au
Thu Aug 28 08:59:24 CEST 2003

Talking about Excel, you can produce excellent graphs in Excel. Yes you
have to work at it, but you can get there. The problem is that they are
not the default. My gut feeling is that R will make more of an impact in
the presentation of graphics than any implementation in Excel.

So even if a patent were granted and it made itself into a mainstream
package, would it change the world or would the people who currently use
three dee (3D) graphs think that they looked a bit square. Or would the
implementation allow us to change the colour of each diamond or maybe we
could put a picture of our daughter as a background. Does change happen
from the tool or the user.

So I guess my reason for saying R will make more of an impact is because
the average R user cares about what they are doing when compared to the
average Excel user.

also

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, David Scott wrote:

> What is a hanging rootogram? ;-D

Now I can't work out what the wink means, but they're implemented in the
VCD package

Also http://www.math.yorku.ca/SCS/vcd/vcdstory.pdf for more info

Tom Mulholland
Senior Policy Officer
WA Country Health Service
Tel: (08) 9222 4062

The contents of this e-mail transmission are confidential an...{{dropped}}