[R] Exporting R graphs (review)

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Wed Aug 27 17:06:04 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 09:21, ucgamdo at ucl.ac.uk wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
>    Yesterday I posted my first couple of questions (see bottom of this
> message) to this forum and I would like to thank you guys for all the
> useful feedback I got. I just would like to make some comments:
>
> 1. Exporting R graphs as vector graphics:
>
> The best answer came from Thomas Lumley <tlumley at u.washington.edu>
> He suggested using the RSvgDevice package. As far as I know SVG graphics
> can be manipulated with OpenOffice and also with sodipodi, I'll check this
> package out asap. This should apply to linux and win users.

Just a quick heads up that you can export SVG format files from OOo
Draw. However, there is no present ability to import them into the OOo
apps.

According to OOo's IssueZilla, there are no plans to suport SVG import
prior to version 2.0.

There is however a fair amount of pressure to do so as SVG formats
become more prevalent as a cross-platform vector format, especially now
that web apps like Mozilla/Firebird are building support for it.

This is one of the reasons that I have stayed with bitmaps for screen
display and EPS for printing when using OOo.

Also, you may be aware that OOo V1.1 (which is at RC3 right now) can
export PDF files directly. However, if you have EPS images embedded in a
document or slide show, they print as you see them on the screen (blank
objects with the embedded title). Thus you need to print them to a PS
file and then use ps2pdf if you want a proper PDF file generated.

Lastly, for those interested, there is a java based OOo Writer to LaTeX
CLI conversion utility and Writer export filter in development.
Amazingly, it is called Writer2LaTex... ;-)

Info is available at http://www.hj-gym.dk/~hj/writer2latex/

HTH,

Marc Schwartz