[R] diamond graphs

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Tue Aug 26 18:26:55 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 09:23, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> Can I just check something? If I write some code in R to produce these
> diamond graphs - I reckon 20-30 lines should do it - and post it to
> R-help, have I broken the law if there's a patent on them? If I produce
> these graphs using a pen, paper and my own artistic skill, will that
> make me liable to a jail term? Will my code or artistic efforts be okay
> if I pay the originators a fee and put a 'licensed diamond-graph
> producer #55243' logo at the bottom?
>
>   Now I'm starting to worry that SCO will claim they hold copyrights on
> histograms.
>
> Baz

I was wondering if SCO might come up in this thread...  :-)

As an FYI, these articles on ZDNet this week, may be of interest:

Patent battle to culminate in Brussels
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5068007.html

The patent nuclear weapon (commentary)
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-5067526.html

BTW Frank, excellent points made in your reply.

Marc