[R] Exporting R graphs

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Tue Aug 26 16:25:44 CEST 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 ucgamdo at ucl.ac.uk wrote:

> 1. In windows, I could copy the contents of a window graphic's device as a
> windows metafile, and then I could paste the metafile into OpenOffice draw.
> The advantage of doing this is that I could then manipulate my graph as a
> vector object and get absolute control of every line, point, etc. I could
> also paste several graphs in the same page and resize them arbitrarily,
> which is a lot nicer than using the screen.split() or frame() functions in
> R. Is there any equivalent method I could use to get R graphics into
> OpenOffice draw in linux?, keeping the same functionality of course.

You can't cut-and-paste or use Windows metafiles under Linux.  You may be
able to get resizable graphs with pdf() or postscript(), but you won't be
able to get that sort of editing control.  Another possibility is xfig(),
which produces graphs that can be edited in xfig. I don't know if
OpenOffice knows about xfig formats (or about SVG, which R can also
produce).

	-thomas