[R] R tools for large files

Murray Jorgensen maj at stats.waikato.ac.nz
Mon Aug 25 06:04:17 CEST 2003

I'm wondering if anyone has written some functions or code for handling
very large files in R. I am working with a data file that is 41
variables times who knows how many observations making up 27MB altogether.

The sort of thing that I am thinking of having R do is

- count the number of lines in a file

- form a data frame by selecting all cases whose line numbers are in a
supplied vector (which could be used to extract random subfiles of
particular sizes)

Does anyone know of a package that might be useful for this?

Murray

--
Dr Murray Jorgensen      http://www.stats.waikato.ac.nz/Staff/maj.html
Department of Statistics, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand