[R] R-1.7.1 gets installed without default packages & without readline

Laurent Faisnel laurent.faisnel at ariase.com
Tue Aug 19 14:35:32 CEST 2003

Hi all,

Trying to install R-1.7.1 on a RedHat 8.0 platform, I have a few problems.

R gets installed without default packages (but base and ctest) : make
script fails at the end of the procedure (configure is made
successfully). This is the (translated) log I have :

/gcc -I../../../../include /usr/include/mysql  -D__NO_MATH_INLINES
-mieee-fp  -fPIC  -g -O2 -c ansari.c -o ansari.o
gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations
make[5]: *** [ansari.o] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/R-1.7.1/src/library/ctest/src'
make[4]: *** [all] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/R-1.7.1/src/library/ctest/src'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/R-1.7.1/src/library/ctest'
make[2]: *** [R] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/R-1.7.1/src/library'
make[1]: *** [R] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory// `/usr/local/R-1.7.1/src'
make: *** [R] Error 1
/
However it's possible to start R but I have only base and ctest, and
subsequently many warnings are displayed at startup. The only solution I
found was to copy-paste libraries from a RPM version (which gets
installed without trouble). Probably not a good solution. I already read
carefully R-admin. What should I try now ?

Moreover, I have a problem with readline. First I did not manage to make
the configure script satisfied about readline. I found in R archives
that readline-devel should be present too. I downloaded it, indeed the
configure script is now OK with readline. But I still have no
command-line facilities enabled under R. Why ?

[laurent at localhost home]# rpm -qva | grep readline
readline-4.3-3
readline-devel-4.3-3
readline41-4.1-14

Thanks for any help.