[R] type I and type III sums of squares

Thomas W Blackwell tblackw at umich.edu
Mon Aug 18 21:01:38 CEST 2003

Paul  -

Your question is best answered by a textbook reference, because
that will supply all the context needed to fully answer your
question.  A good, basic reference is:

George W. Snedecor and William G. Cochran (1980)
Statistical Methods, 7th edition.  Iowa State Univ. Press.
ISBN: 0-8138-1560-6; LC:  QA 276.12 .S591 1980

(I have the Taubman copy already checked out - others in the
Science Library.)  A more advanced reference is:

George A. Milliken and Dallas E. Johnson (1984)
Analysis of messy data (2 vols.)  Van Nostrand Reinhold, NY
ISBN: 0-534-02713-x;  LC:  QA 279 .M481 1984

(Science library only, more recent edition in Public Health library.)

The terms "type I" and "type III" are specific to SAS software.
Their precise definitions are given in the SAS documentation.
I don't have a copy handy.  George Milliken was a contributor
to the SAS software, so his definitions will coincide with SAS's.

HTH  -  tom blackwell  -  program in bioinformatics and department
    of human genetics  -  u michigan medical school  -  ann arbor  -