[R] Is there a package for digitizing or reading jpegs, ets. in R?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Aug 15 19:45:09 CEST 2003

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, M.Kondrin wrote:

> Peter Hovmand wrote:
> > I'm interested in digitizing some scanned time series, and looking for a
> > solution that is easy and flexible. I thought I might be able to use R's
> > locator() if I could get the image into a device. I noticed that there
> > are some packages like (rimage), but it (a) doesn't seem to be available
> > for the Windows version and forces me to upgrade a bunch of libraries
> > for my linux system. It seems like someone should have something for
> > digitizing maps and/or there something very obvious that I am missing
> > here. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
> >
> > Peter

> As far as I know there is no ready to use digitizer package for R, but
> instead of a rimage you can try pixmap package (although it requires
> images in pnm format - that is more memory consuming then jpeg one)

While pixmap could be used, you would need to do a lot to register the
image and grab the axis scales. The last time I used g3data for this, it
delivered, and took care of all the registering:

http://www.acclab.helsinki.fi/~frantz/software/g3data.php

The current version does not seem to be available for Windows (version
1.1.4 is), is gtk+ based, there are RPMs.

Roger