[R] What does m$... mean?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Aug 13 04:08:47 CEST 2003

"a$b" = "a[['b']] = attribute "b" of list "a".

A basic object in R is a list, and the "$" operator provides one means
of accessing named attributes of a list.

	  Beginning with R 1.7, objects can also have "slots", which are
accessed as "a at b".  I have yet to understand why "slots" were
introduced;  perhaps someone else will explain this.

hope this helps.
spencer graves