[R] installing add-on packages on OS X

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 7 08:29:47 CEST 2003

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Philippe Glaziou wrote:

> mpie <mpie at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > This is probably a stupid question, but since I'm a
> > newbie on R, here it goes. I got R 1.6.2 running on OS
> > 10.1.5 and I'm trying to install an add-on package.
> >
> > I couldn't find info on installing this in a mac. Can
> > anyone give me some pointers?
>

> See R-admin.
>
> It may be a good idea to consider upgrading your R. It
> compiles very well on MacOSX, provided that you install all
> the missing soft that Apple could not be bothered to
> include in the OS.

I thinks `mpie' is using the Carbon port and not the Darwin port
(although I do suggest upgrading the R version).  For the Carbon port,
there are pre-built packages on CRAN as .sit files.

Please, please, please can MacOS users differentiate between the two
versions!  As from 1.8.0 there will only be one, and only for MacOS X -- a
version of the Darwin port with a GUI console.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk