[R] problems with lda , data included, can somebody test with the new version

Philippe Glaziou glaziou at pasteur-kh.org
Wed Aug 6 13:06:52 CEST 2003

Nicolaas Busscher <busscher at wiz.uni-kassel.de> wrote:
> enclosed a simple R script (and a data file, and the
> output) , with calls lda similar to the example with the
> iris data in the documentation. it is not working and i
> dont understand the error message.

I tested your data and commands without any error message on
a linux debian distribution:

> [...]
> z<-lda(assignment ~ .,actaData,prior=prio,tol=1.0e-08)
Call:
lda.formula(assignment ~ ., data = actaData, prior = prio,
tol = 1e-08)

Prior probabilities of groups:
  5   6
0.5 0.5

Group means:
  diagonal.moment cluster.shade histogram.kurtosis
5        84.94982     -11989.17         -0.1116342
6       138.31495     -18892.15         -0.1205776

Coefficients of linear discriminants:
                             LD1
diagonal.moment    -1.575854e-03
cluster.shade      -1.209398e-04
histogram.kurtosis -2.028278e+02

> can anybody help me? i am using R 1.5.1 (2002.06.17) on
> debian woody stable.  I would like to avoid updating now,
> because i want to keep the system in "stable".

You can upgrade your old R while keeping the system in
stable. You may download the 1.7.1 deb packages from CRAN,
and install them with dpkg.

Or even better, you can create your own debs from the
sources, all the required files are the package.

  tar xvzf R-1.7.1.tgz
  cd R-1.7.1
  dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

And a few coffees later, you will find a fairly large number
of deb files in the parent directory.

--
Philippe