[R] Discussion: Spam on R-help

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 4 15:53:24 CEST 2003

Christian Hennig has already replied that there have been serious
computing disruptions at ETH (as can be seen from the delays on the R
lists), and Martin Maechler is away at present.

Normally there is extensive spam protection in place, and Martin has done
a lot of work to ensure that you don't see things.  It really is unfair to
Martin in particular to jump in on one of the rare occasions when things
go wrong.  He deserves praise for the normal situation, and perhaps we
need to turn the checks off from time to time so people appreciate the
excellent work done on their behalf.

Can we please drop this thread until Martin returns and has the time to
investigate?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk