[R] shading in image()

Barry Rowlingson B.Rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Aug 4 10:35:06 CEST 2003

Ross Ihaka wrote:

> If anyone knows how to Gouraud, Phong or other smooth shading method
> portably in a vector system I'd be keen to hear about it.

  Why bloat R with something like that? All we need is a way of linking
R with Blender and we have a fully-GPL statistics and 3-d rendering
facility. Blender is scriptable in python, so you could read data files
from Blender, or possibly one could write an R graphics device that
produced Blender-compatible data files. Blender

  Eventually you'll be able to walk through your data in 3-d....

Baz