[OT] Re: [R] help.start in R-1.7.0 with Netscape 7.0.

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Apr 24 18:51:13 CEST 2003

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> You are shouting at the wrong audience here: the problem is the Netscape
> protocol and how it is implemented (or not) in various versions of
> Netscape.  Under Linux/Unix it does not even start a window if not exists
> in 7.0, but did before, yet it does not allow multiple windows which it
> did before.  That `verges on the mystical' indeed.

Right. There seems to a lot of ill thought out design of that variety
going on these days. E.g.: put my laptop on the net, work on it from
the desktop, open a local file with NS/Mozilla. Up till a year or two
ago, that would work fine. Now, it detects that I have a browser open
on the desktop machine and that of course complains that it cannot
find the file on that machine. Same thing if I want to browse the Web
and download something to the laptop - need to close down whatever I
was doing beforehand or the download goes to the wrong machine. Login
at two machines simultaneously and browse from both? Forget it... Even
on the same machine you can get in trouble if you work on two things
at the same time and closing the browser in one workspace also kills
the one in the other workspace. Grrrr....