[R] R TclTk Examples

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Apr 24 17:30:33 CEST 2003

James Wettenhall <wettenhall at wehi.edu.au> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've been learning how to use R TclTk in Windows over the last
> few months.
>
> I have recently put together a collection of examples of
> some common widgets and their corresponding R code, at
>
> http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/~wettenhall/RTclTkExamples/
>
> I would be interested in any feedback - Is it useful? Does it
> contain any significant errors or bad coding style?  Does anyone
> else want to contribute similar examples with screenshots?

Just a few notes:

* The tkscript example seems to have lost all indentation, and I think
  that the info relating to 1.6.0 can be safely lost by now.

* Tktable can be handled more easily using callbacks in R-1.7.x. I
  have an example somewhere on the laptop, I think. Interfacing to Tcl
  arrays is quite a pain as I'm sure you already found out; something
  I hope to straighten out in the future.

* You're describing the pack manager as superseded by the grid
  manager, which I think is not quite right. Both are useful in
  different contexts; some layouts are really awkward to lay out
  on a grid, so knowing the pack manager can pay off.

Re. examples and screenshots, you might be better off just taking
examples and doing your own screenshots. Things get more consistent
that way. A few examples of how things look like in the Linux
interface might be useful, though (maybe Aqua too, anyone?)