[R] estimating number of clusters ("Null or more")

Khamenia, Valery V.Khamenia at BioVisioN.de
Thu Apr 24 13:14:33 CEST 2003

Hi all,

  once more about the old subj :-)

  My data has too much various distribution families and for every
particular experiment
  I need just to decide whether the data is "quite homogeneous" or it has
two or more
  clusters. I've revisited the following libraries:
         amap, clust, cclust, mclust, multiv, normix, survey.

  And I didn't find any ready-to-use general purpose criterion for answering

  the question whether the data is "quite homogeneous" or has two or more
  clusters. Even for one dimension data.

  However, in "cclust" a "clustIndex" might be used as a raw criteria.
  But nothing ready to use as far as I understand. Or maybe I am wrong?!

  Q: are there any libraries in R with ready-to-use functions for estimation

       number of clusters...
       - ... with criterion based on entropy?
       - ... with criterion based on ecdf?

Please Cc to: