[R] Changing the size of the bounding box

Ross Ihaka ihaka at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Wed Apr 23 23:21:57 CEST 2003

Richard Anderson wrote:
> Greetings all:
>
> I have to create a graph that has very specific dimensions for
> publication purposes.  The graph is a semilog scaled graph and the
> axes must range from 1 to 1,000,000 on the y axis and 0 to 100 on the
> x axis.  The x axis should be exactly 8 inches and the y axis should
> be exactly 5.25 inches.  I've been able to set the plot area to 8 x
> 5.25 using the par(pin=c(8,5.25)).  The problem that I'm running into
> is that R seems to extend my data range by 4% to create a "bounding
> box" and this throws off the layout of my graph.  Is there some way
> to change this behavior?  Thanks in advance for any help.

You can use "xaxs" and "yaxs".  For example

   plot(1:10, xaxs="i", yaxs="i")

or use par() to set these permanantly.

   ?par

will gt you documentation.

Ross Ihaka                         Email:  ihaka at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Department of Statistics           Phone:  (64-9) 373-7599 x 85054
University of Auckland             Fax:    (64-9) 373-7018
Private Bag 92019, Auckland
New Zealand